More Dog Awesome Greatness

Friday, July 8, 2011

You will not threaten ninja chicken
As we continue with the Tales of Awesome Dogs:  

Graham Nuttall and his border collie Ruswarp were an inseparable pair. Ruswarp was 14 years old when he and Nuttall went on a hike in the Welsh Mountains in January of 1990. They did not return as scheduled. 11 weeks later, another hiker found Nuttall's body, and a cold and starving Ruswarp standing guard. The dog had to be carried off the mountain, and was cared for by a vet paid by the RSPCA. Ruswarp survived long enough to attend Nuttall's funeral. Graham Nuttall was an activist involved with saving the scenic British railway line from Settle to Carlisle. The Friends of the Settle-Carlisle Line (FoSCL) raised money for a memorial to Ruswarp. A bronze statue of the dog was installed at the Garsdale Station in North Yorkshire in early 2009.

Graham & Ruswarp
But YOU would have gone away, ADMIT IT. Because people are not as cool as DOGS. 

The power of love. 

Once, my elderly father crawled under his house to repair something and had a stroke. He couldn't alert anyone above in the house, just laid there alone in terrible trouble until my dog found him, worried about him.
Inseparable
And, what did my dog do to comfort him? He made two or three DOZEN trips into the house to fetch one fluffy stuffed animal toy of his at a time, took it to Dad and packed them all around him and then stayed at his side until help arrived. 

–Patois; from Comments

That's right. There's a lot of evil in this world. I've often said, I don't know if I believe in God, but I sure as hell believe in the Devil, because I see his work around me every day.

But then I remember my dog, and other dogs I've been lucky enough to have known, and dogs like Ruswarp here. And I know there must be something out there that cares about this pathetic human existence.

Because he sent his best friends down here to watch out for us.

If we're worthy of them.